NEBOSH International General Certificate (IGC)
It is a highly recommended occupational safety and health qualification worldwide. It gives knowledge and skills and enables you to know how to perform the health and safety responsibilities of any individual working in any organization.
What you’ll learn
NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health is widely respected worldwide. NEBOSH IGC is essential for anybody working in or planning to work in the health and safety field. It presents an excellent introduction to occupational safety and health and is suitable for working with all types of organizations and industries. NEBOSH IGC is ideal:
- For Everybody working in a safety-related role
- For those looking or planning to start a career in the health and safety field.
- For the Managers and the supervisors with the safety responsibilities as part of the broader role in health and safety
Gain an appreciation for your health and safety skills and knowledge worldwide with the NEBOSH International General Certificate (IGC) in Occupational Health and Safety.
The NEBOSH IGC is one of the highly recommended qualifications in occupational safety and health worldwide. NEBOSH IGC gives knowledge and skills and enables you to know how to perform the health and safety responsibilities of any individual working in any organization.
The NEBOSH International General Certificate (IGC) in Occupational Health and Safety provides a deep understanding of general health and safety issues or problems that affect all organizations. NEBOSH IGC enables the risks to be managed efficiently. As well as NEBOSH IGC covers the range of workplace hazards, risks, and methods of control; it includes the reference to the international standards linking to the management of health and safety at work.
NEBOSH IGC gives a valuable overview and is a sound basis for further professional study in Occupational Health and Safety, For example, the NEBOSH International Diploma, Fire Certificate, and Construction Certificate.
The NEBOSH International General Certificate will give you invaluable knowledge and skills AND a globally respected qualification that supports your current role and long-term career.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification. However, learners must have a suitable English language standard to understand and articulate the concepts contained in the syllabus.
NEBOSH recommends that learners undertaking this qualification reach a minimum standard of English equivalent to an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 or higher in IELTS tests.
A chart mapping IELTS scores to the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR) can be found on the British Council and IELTS websites:
Learners wishing to assess their language expertise may consult the FAQs on the IELTS website for information on taking the test.
Important Note: the NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (October 2018 specifications) is a standalone qualification. This means that you will not be able to use units from other NEBOSH qualifications against any part of this qualification.
When you have completed both units, you are normally considered to have completed the whole qualification.
The NEBOSH International General Certificate (IGC) is divided into two units:
Unit IG1: Management of Health and Safety
- Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Health and safety monitoring and measuring
Unit IG2: Risk Assessment
- Physical and psychological health
- Musculoskeletal health
- Chemical and biological agents
- General workplace issues
- Work equipment
After NEBOSH IGC, You will be able to:
- Justify health and safety improvements using moral, financial, and legal arguments
- Advise on the main duties for health and safety in the workplace and help their organization manage contractors
- Work within a health and safety management system, recognizing what effective policy, organizational responsibilities, and arrangements should look like
- Positively influence health and safety culture and behavior to improve performance in their organization.
- Do a general risk assessment in their workplace – profiling and prioritizing risks, inspecting the workplace, recognizing a range of common hazards, evaluating risks (taking account of current controls), recommending further control measures, and planning actions.
- Recognize workplace changes that have significant health and safety impacts and effective ways to minimize those impacts.
- Develop basic safe systems of work (including taking account of typical emergencies) and know when to use permit-to-work systems for special risks.
- Take part in incident investigations.
- Help their employer to check their management system effectiveness – through monitoring, audits, and reviews.
This modern qualification combines activities, learning, and interactive materials to provide an interesting and engaging experience. It focuses on key skills that mean you can instantly apply the knowledge you gain and add value to your organization.
Assessment is a two-step process:
- IG1 – An open book examination to assess what you know. This is scenario-based and will include a closing interview; you will be asked questions about your submission.
- IG2 – A practical risk assessment to assess what you can do (3 hours). You will complete a risk assessment and develop an action plan for your workplace – this is immediately useful and valuable.
External examiners appointed by NEBOSH mark assessments. These examiners are chosen for their experience and expertise to ensure that learners are assessed by the best in our industry.
A Wide Selection Of Courses
Choose From Our Best Online Video Courses With New Additions Published Every Month.